How to French Braid
This 21 step instructional will describe how to french braid long hair. This technique is used for beauty purposes as well as keeping hair back while you are working. French braiding is also an ideal method for creating the perfect wavy hair without heat damage. Many people have trouble creating this look properly, and these instructions will allow you to follow this simple procedure step by step to create the perfect braid.
The required tools needed for the French braid are as follows:
- Shoulder length hair or longer is best
- Hair brush
- Tailed comb
- Stool for the participant to sit on
- A pony-tail holder
- Hair dryer (with a diffuser attachment if possible)
- Before beginning the braid, wash the hair. Shampooing and conditioning allow the hair to be clean (and damp if you want to create wavy hair.)
- While the hair is wet, apply a mouse or gel that allows the hair to hold its shape and stay in place. Follow the directions on the product bottle for application to the hair.
- Use the hair dryer to partially dry the hair. Make sure to keep the hair damp so it feels slightly wet to the touch.
To begin the braid:
- Take a handful of damp hair from the top of the head.
- Separate this handful into 3 sections.
- Hold 2 sections in the right hand and one in the left. Make sure to keep the sections separated with your fingers.
- Take the far right strand and cross it over the middle strand so that it is now the middle piece.
- Grab the new middle piece with you left hand. (Now you have 2 strands in the left and one in the right.)
- Cross the far left strand over the middle strand so it now becomes the middle piece. (This time keep both the left and middle strands in your left hand.)
- With your right hand, pick up some hair approximately 2 inches above the ear on the right side of the head.
- Add this to the strand on the right.
- Cross the right strand over so that it now becomes the middle.
NOTE: Make sure to use fingers to keep strands separated
- Use the left hand to pick up a section of hair on the left.
- Add this to the left strand.
- Cross the left strand over so that it becomes the middle strand.
- Repeat steps 10-16 until you run out of hair to pick up at the base of the head.
- Continue a standard braid.
- Cross the right strand over to the middle.
- Then cross the left over to the middle.
- Continue to keep the strands separated.
- Stop approximately 4-6 inches from the bottom of the hair.
- Combine all 3 strands into one ponytail.
- Secure with pony-tail holder.
And there you have your luxurious french braid. You can spice this braid up by adding creative everyday items such as: feathers, fancy pins, glitter, headbands, silk scarves, and anything else you can imagine. Now get creative and make our braid your own!
Coming soon: A video tutorial